Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Amazing Experience

It's been a while since I posted and in that time, a wonderful thing has happened to our family. Daniel, my oldest son, accepted Christ recently. Daniel has always had a knack for understanding spiritual things. He has been curious about Jesus and God for a long time now and has been asking some very in depth questions. He has a better grasp on the plan for salvation than a lot of kids twice his age. In fact, the Thursday before Easter, he actually witnessed to another child on the playground. He has truly amazed me with his faith. I now understand what Jesus meant when He spoke of having "child-like faith." Daniel doesn't question the how's or why's of what God does...He just accepts. I am learning alot from my child about faith. On the way home from my in-laws' on a Saturday night, Daniel and I were alone in the Tahoe and we were talking (for the millionth time =) ) about Jesus and how He died on the cross for our sins. We were talking about how if Jesus lives in your heart then you can go to Heaven to live with Him one day. Daniel then asked me the question that I knew had been coming...."Mommy, how can I get Jesus in my heart?" So I explained to him that you had to tell Jesus that you are a sinner and tell Him that you are sorry for your sins. I explained that you had to tell Jesus that you want to follow Him and you want to live with Him in Heaven. Then my 5 year old little boy prayed the sweetest, most sincere prayer I've ever heard. It was an indescribable experience as I watched my son become my brother in Christ. The next morning we talked with our pastor and he asked Daniel some questions to see if he really understood what he was saying and doing. Daniel was amazing. He answered those questions with surprisingly adult answers. Our pastor told me later that he had seen 9 and 10 year olds who did not have the understanding that Daniel did. He told me he'd never seen a child as young as Daniel have such a grasp on what it meant to accept Christ. So we are going to get with our pastor and set up Daniel's baptism. I'm so proud of my little boy and I'm so thankful to the wonderful ladies at the boys' daycare. Their teachings have played a HUGE part in Daniel being where he is today. I can never thank them enough. But most of all, I thank my Savior for working in my son's life and touching his heart at such an early age. I just pray that I can continue to guide all of my boys and raise them in a way that is pleasing to God.

5 comments:

Karen Coutu said...

I don't know much about religion, but I can feel the pride you are experiencing through your words. Daniel must be far ahead of his time to understand such abstract concepts.

Anonymous said...

I'M SO HAPPY DANIEL (MY FUTURE HUSBAND) ACCEPTED CHRIST!!!!I HOPE YOU HAVE HAD A GREAT DAY AND I LOVE YOOH LOTS!!

Anonymous said...

I am happy that Daniel (my future brother-in-law) accepted Jesus in his heart! That is AWSOME! Ok well tell Micheal ( my future husband) I said hey!

I love you!

Love Cookie!

Heather said...

How wonderful for Daniel to feel and embrace such faith, and at such a young age.

Anonymous said...

Hey Momma Forney!
You need to post again!