Sunday, December 2, 2007

Confessions of a Christmas Tree Snob

Hello, my name is Lee and I am a Christmas tree snob. I REFUSE to have an artifical tree and I REFUSE to bring home a less than perfect live tree. Each year, it takes me no less than 30 minutes to pick out a tree. I have been known to go to 4 or 5 tree lots to find the perfect tree. We got our tree last night and this year was actually a pretty good year. We only went to one lot and it only took me about 45 minutes to decide on a tree. My daddy is the one who taught me the fine art of picking out the perfect tree. When I was a kid, my daddy insisted on having cedar trees. He and I would go into the woods behind our house and search for HOURS until we found the perfect tree. It had to be shaped just right and there absolutely could not be any holes in the branches. Then we'd drag it through the woods and put it in the tree stand. I still go with my dad to look for the perfect tree, but we go to a tree farm now to get his tree. I guess we depleted the tree supply back behind our house! Once we had the tree in the house, Daddy's job was over. He'd go sit in his recliner and watch TV while Momma and I decorated the tree. I'm also very particular about decorating the tree. If my daddy taught me the art of choosing a tree, then my momma taught me the art of decorating it! I am very careful to make sure each side is evenly covered and that similar ornaments aren't hanging close together. I am know teaching my boys the fine art of choosing the perfect tree. Right now however, they just get bored with the process. "Mommy, just get a tree so we can go" They also are still learning the finer points of tree decorating! Mikey would hang all of the ornaments on one branch and leave the rest of the tree bare! AHH, youth! They will soon learn to appreciate that the art of tree choosing cannot be rushed!!! And that decorating the tree is an art that must be carefully honed and perfected. I just hope that when they are grown, they'll have the same great memories of Christmas that I have from my childhood.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO HAVE ANOTHER BEST BUDDY!!DO YOU KNOW WHO IT IS??

Kitty said...

Tree snob lol Youcrack me up lee.But seriously the story of your mother and father was very sweet!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad someone is in the Christmas Spirit! I don't think I'm even going to have a tree this year.

J said...

Snob! LOL

Anonymous said...

HEY SPANGLESH MOTHER!

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU SAY "THE ART OF TREE DECORATING!" IT IS A JOB AND IT TAKES APPROXAMATLY 1 HOUR TO PICK OUT A TREE, THEN 1 HOUR DECORATING IT THEN TIL CHRISTMAS TO ENJOY IT! IT IS A REAL LONG PROCESS! WELL I LOVE YOU!

~COOKIE

Heather said...

What a snot you are Lee! ;)

Berleen said...

Never had a real tree... never had the desire for one either so I can't relate to that one - but the decorations? Oh yeah! But my biggest problem is on how the girls keep redecorating it!
"But Mom, I just want to look at it..."

*smack*