Saturday, November 3, 2007

Through the Eyes of a Hurricane (Daniel edition)

Everyone keeps telling me that I need to be writing down all of the funny sayings and goings on of my children, so I think this is a good place to record what it's like living daily with 3 hurricanes. So, as Daniel is my firstborn, I'll start off with him. (Mikey, Zach, don't worry, you'll get your fair share of exposure, trust me!!) Daniel, God love me, is the child that is most like me. Which means that he is the child that tries my patience more than the others, but he's also the one I understand the best. He has done and said his share of funny stuff (or at least NOW it's funny.) The first thing that really stands out for me with Daniel happened right after Mikey was born. Mikey was in his bouncy seat, minding his own business, and Daniel was eating his lunch of Chicken McNuggets from MickeyD's. I was in the kitchen doing all of those wonderful chores that we mothers do. When I walked back into the living room, there was a chicken nugget on Mikey's mouth. When I asked Daniel why he had put a chicken nugget over his brother's mouth, he replies "I was just sharing. Jesus likes it when we share!" Yeah, but Jesus didn't mean to share your chicken with your month old brother!!
Mikey was about a year old when we got a kitten from my sister, Stacey. (Ok, she's Robert's biological sister, but I've adopted her as my own!) I named the orange tabby Weasley after the red-haired characters in the Harry Potter books. One day, as Mikey was sitting on one of my legs and Weasley was occupying the other, Daniel comes to me and there's no room for him to sit. He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't want a cat and we need to take Weasley back to Stacey. Then he tells me that he doesn't want a brother either. "We need to take Mikey back to...Where did Mikey come from anyway?" I told him that Mikey came from the hospital and they had a no return policy!!
And now we come to the time that every parent both looks forward to and dreads all at the same time....POTTY TRAINING!! It seemed as though we potty trained Daniel FOREVER!! One day when Daniel was about 2 1/2, we had some friends over watching a movie. Daniel and Mikey were quietly playing in their room; all was well, or so we thought. I knew that we were in trouble when I looked up and saw Daniel walking down the hallway wearing nothing but his shirt and carrying a Spiderman bucket. I cautiously approached Daniel...."Hey buddy, what's in the bucket?" No answer, so I peek into the bucket. My worst fears were confirmed....My child had pooped in the Spiderman bucket!! When I asked him why he did this, his response was "Grandma told me to poo-poo in the pot. I couldn't find a pot, so I used the bucket." Can't really argue with that kind of logic, now can ya?
I could go on, but I think I will end with probably the funniest thing Daniel has ever said or done. We were watching the movie "Standing Tall" which has the Rock in it. Of course, Daniel came walking through at the worst possible time....right in the middle of the stripper scene. He was mesmerized by what he was seeing. So I sat him down and explained to him that what was under our clothes is private and we shouldn't let other people see it and we shouldn't look at what was under other people's clothes. After my motherly advice, Daniel went and sat down and seemed to think this over. Then he comes, climbs up in my lap and tells me "Mommy, I like it when girls take their clothes off and you know, you shouldn't take that away from me." Well, at least he's confident in his sexuality, even if he was only 4 years old at the time!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the bucket! I remember that. He was just "focusing"....focus, focus, focus, as Daniel would say!

Heather said...

You named your cat Weasley? I love it.
Gonna look for a HP reference in all your posts now!

Daniel seems like quite the character.

Kitty said...

lol That was so funny.Especially about the bucket and the naked women.I have soo much to look forward to!He is definately all male-theres a story to tell his future wife about the naked women lol

Kitty said...

lol That was so funny.Especially about the bucket and the naked women.I have soo much to look forward to!He is definately all male-theres a story to tell his future wife about the naked women lol

Anonymous said...

did letting go really work? i think it would totally freak me out!!!! you are cool though so you wouldn't do that to me!! i love yoo! have fun with your classes!!
katie