Thursday, November 8, 2007

Today, I let go of the leash.....

The other day while talking to Robert, I made the analogy that teaching my kids this year was like walking a really big dog that is a lot stronger than me. You know how when you walk a dog that's that much stronger than you, by the end of the walk, you're exhausted from the strain of holding it back....but you know that if you slack up even a little, that the dog will run away with you. Well, that's how I feel this year....if I slack up just a bit, I'll lose total control of these kids. It's a very tiring experience. Well, today I was tired and had a headache and by the end of the day I just couldn't hold on anymore so for the last 15 min or so, I just said the heck with it and let go of the leash. I think it freaked the kids out....they got louder and louder and I just didn't say anything....after about 5 min when it became clear that I wasn't even trying to get them to hush, they all got real quiet and one of my boys asked me what was going on.....I just told them that I had let go of the leash. They looked at me funny and I explained what I meant. Surprisingly, after that, they were quiet until the final bell rang.....just hope that maybe it had some lasting effect, but I doubt it. Oh well, at least I got a peaceful few minutes, haha!

5 comments:

J said...

Woohoo! Hopefully it works for ya.

Kitty said...

Interesting, it's like they stopped because they weren't getting any reaction from you.Those kids are too smart dangit! lol Oh what a challenge you face everyday.I bet all the teachers that warned you about this class admire you for trdging through it with grace.

Heather said...

I can't imagine that many unruly kids under my supervision.
You are one of those unseen heroes Lee. I respect you greatly for teaching!

Stephenie said...

I couldn't imagine being in your shoes! Your one tough woman!

LOVIN LIFE said...

I NO WAHT YOU MEAN YOUR KIDS THIS YEAR ARE AWFUL!I WOULD COME BACK TO YOUR CLASS IF I COULD.......IM COMING TO YOUR CLASS FRIDAY 7TH THOUGH...LOVE YA LOTS, BETHECA